Frequently Asked Questions
What are the school’s hours?
- Regular School Day: Doors open at 7:55 a.m. with late arrival being at 8:10 a.m. Dismissal time is at 2:45 p.m.
- Delay Opening: Doors open at 9:55 a.m. with late arrival being at 10:10 a.m.
- Scheduled Early Dismissal: 12:40 p.m.
- Emergency Early Dismissal: 12:10 p.m.
What time does my child need to be in school for the day to count?
- ARRIVAL 9:45 a.m.
- DISMISSAL 1:10 p.m.
Please note that a student needs to be in school at least 4 instructional hours (not counting Lunch and Recess) for the student to get credit for a full day.
Is Kindergarten a half day or full day program?
- Kindergarten is a full day program.
How old does my child need to be to attend Kindergarten?
- Your child will need to be 5 years of age by the 30th of September in the year he/she will be attending.
- This is Board Policy and there are no exceptions. Policy 5112
Do I need to pay for my child to ride the bus to school?
- If you live within two miles of the school (*as decided by the BOE) you will need to subscribe and pay for bussing.
- If you are beyond two miles of the school, bussing will be automatically provided.
- If you have any further questions or concerns about the school bus, please call transportation @ 973-331-7100 X2234.
After I hand in the paperwork and pay the deposit – how long before my child can attend MEDLC?
- There is a 24 hour turnaround time to enroll in MEDLC during the school year.
- Please hand in registration paperwork to the main office with the appropriate checks payable to MEDLC.
- It is helpful to have your child bring a note for the teacher on the first few days that your child attends MEDLC.
- For additional information on MEDLC for the new school year, please follow the link: MEDLC Information
Is there still MEDLC on an early dismissal day?
- MEDLC does remain open on early dismissal days.
- During emergency early dismissals, MEDLC will remain open - however, please keep the staff's interest in mind when weather is inclement.
If my child is late to school, what happens?
- It is important to note that if your child is in school after 9:45 a.m., he/she will not receive credit for a full school day, only for a half day.
What if my child has an appointment and needs to leave school early?
- If your child is leaving school early, please note that if your child leaves school before 1:10 p.m., he/she will not get credit for a full school day, only for a half day.
What if there is an early dismissal from school?
- If there is an early dismissal from school in order for your child to receive any credit for the school day, they must be present for at least two (2) academic hours.
- Anything less than four (4) academic hours results in a half day credit.
- For example, if a parent/guardian picks up their child before 12:45 p.m., he/she will not receive credit for a full school day, only for a half day.
When there is an emergency closing due to weather, is there a schedule to accommodate the children and different school hours?
- When there is an emergency due to weather, etc. and school needs to close early, there is a different schedule that the school will follow.
- The school hours will be 8:10 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
- If there is an emergency and there needs to be a delayed opening, the delayed opening school hours will be 10:10 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Why do I need to sign my child in/out of school in the main office?
- It is extremely important for a parent/guardian to sign their child in/out of school with the correct date and time in the student sign in/out binder in the main office. This will ensure your child will receive credit for being in school.
What if my child is absent for a holiday and school is in session?
- Please see our State Approved Religious Holiday tab.
- All of these approved holidays are an excused absence.
- If the holiday(s) you and your child celebrate are not on this state approved list, your child’s absence will be marked as an unexcused absence.
If you are calling in to report your child’s absence, please leave a message on ext. 1611. If you have any other questions regarding attendance, please feel free to contact me.
Have a wonderful school year!